Sunday, October 28, 2012

DIY Monogram Desktop Backgrounds! (Using Microsoft Paint)

At the beginning of the school year, I spent a lot (too much I might add...) of my time making up binder covers for each of my classes. Recently, I have seen many pins on Pinterest showing how to make your own iPhone covers. By taking this same concept, I was able to create my own monogrammed desktop backgrounds.
Since I do not have Photoshop, I had to play around a lot with different programs that I did have on my computer. This consisted of many trial runs with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, and the ever frustrating Paint. In the end, Paint ended up being my choice. I am still learning the basics, and as of right now, I concentrate and try not to mess up the first time because once I place something, say a letter, I can't figure out how to adjust it without messing up my entire project. Maybe someone has some advice? Below, I have listed step by step instructions (with pictures!) on how I created my monogrammed desktop backgrounds!



DIY Monogram Backgrounds:

Step 1: Pick out your pattern. 
The easiest way I find is to just search on Google. If you are making a computer background, it is a bit easier because you can find images that will be in the correct dimensions. For the demo background I searched "Lilly Pulitzer Computer Wallpaper" in Google images. The picture in the red box is what I am choosing to use.
Step 2: Copy and paste Picture into Paint

Step 3: Make the base for your monogram.
This is where you can start getting creative! You can choose a circle, square, or basically any shape and colors you want! Here, I am going to go up to the "Shapes" area and choose a circle. Here I drew and solid color royal blue circle with a white circle in front.
Step 4: Make your monogram.
Now, it's time to make your monogram! I will be using the font KK Monogram that I downloaded from Dafont. It is much easier to create each letter in a separate text box. The side letters are size 270 and the middle initial is size 330, but this is all based on personal preference. I like my last initial significantly larger than my first and last initials. **Note if you like your monogram interlocking.** Make sure you like the placement of the side initials before adding in the last, or else you will have to undo and remake the last initial. 
Step 5: Save and set as your desktop background!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! If you have any questions, feel free to comment or email me! Have fun making new monogrammed desktop backgrounds!
College Girl in Pearls


2 comments: